Monday, August 25, 2014

One Pan Pasta Putanesca

I keep running across a one pan pasta recipe on MarthaStewart.com and while it was intriguing and, at this moment, could fulfill my desire to cook healthy meals from the garden, pantry and fridge/freezer, it seemed to me like it could be a little bit bland for us.  So I bookmarked it, thought about it some more, and looked about the pantry and garden to see what was available.  Then it struck me to create a Putanesca version. The Kiddo loves olives and "baby pickles" (capers) so this was a winner in her book. In the garden I had tomatoes, basil, oregano, and parsley.  In the pantry I had red pepper flakes, capers, kalamata olives, whole wheat thin spaghetti, chicken stock, onions and garlic (which I grew in the garden).  In the fridge I had anchovy paste and Parmesan cheese.  I started with the Martha Stewart recipe and diverged from there.  I made considerably less pasta than they suggested, because there are only two of us eating here, and one is four and a half.  The amount I made fed us both, with me having seconds and there is enough leftover for me to have lunch or dinner some other day this week.  I left all the other ingredients about the same amount they had suggested for 12 oz of dry pasta, except the liquid which I cut in half, since I was cooking fewer noodles and I wanted more flavor ultimately. We both enjoyed it and I will definitely make it again.  The Kiddo did eat all the olives and the "baby pickles" first, as I suspected.  I started eating dinner and then I remembered to take the photo.  Oops!

One-Pan Pasta Putanesca
Serves 2-3

6 oz dry whole wheat thin spaghetti (or pasta of your choice, but you may need to adjust the liquid to cook your choosen pasta to al dente.)
1 onion sliced
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 lb tomatoes, chopped (I used cherry and Campari)
1/4 cup kalamata olives
2 Tbsp capers, drained
3 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1 big pinch red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp anchovy paste (Amore squeeze tube)
2 1/4 cups chicken stock or water
Grated Parmesan cheese for topping

In a large skillet (mine was 12 inches) I added all the ingredients, except for the Parmesan cheese.  Go easy on the salt as the olives, capers, anchovy paste, and chicken stock all are salty.  Cover and cook on high until boiling, then stir frequently until most of the liquid is absorbed, the onions are translucent and the tomatoes are breaking down.  For me, this was about 6 minutes.  Remove from heat. Serve with Parmesan cheese.

I harvested 16 lbs of Campari tomatoes this morning, some of which contributed to this dish, most of which are destined for the freezer to be used over the winter. Note the tomato by my thumb which is from the staked and pruned plants, whereas the majority of the small ones are from the sprawling vines.

No comments:

Post a Comment